Use this helpful checklist as a reminder of the things you need to do before you move. Remember, you do not have to take everything with you! This a perfect opportunity to purge those items that you don’t really need or want. A great idea is to have a garage sale to sell these obsolete/unwanted items. This will help reduce moving costs.
- Arrange for and Book the movers.
- Arrange for any trucks and friends that may be helping.
- You can choose to have the movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It’s a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
IF YOU OWN YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Arrange to have your gas, water, and electric meters read on the day you leave and have the bills forwarded to your new address.
- Have your oil tank read and filled before your sale closes, and provide a receipt to your legal professional if required. The Buyer will reimburse you this expense by crediting you this amount on closing day in the statement of adjustment
- If the water heater or furnace is rented, arrange for a transfer of the rental agreement to the purchaser.
- Disconnect your telephone, cable TV, and water softener.
IF YOU RENT YOUR PRESENT HOME
- Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any prepaid monies or rent you have on deposit.
AT YOUR NEW HOME
- Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes.
- Get “Change of Address” cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques and automatic bank debits.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription, optical records and insurances.
- Change the address on your driver’s license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
- Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.
- prepare a box of necessary items that you will need right away at your new residence and pack this box in your car. (ie: cleaning supplies, toiletries, garbage bags, toilette paper, paper towels etc.)
- prepare a separate box with a change of clothes or sleep wear and linens for your first night in you new home
- check your new home for existing damage before movers enter
- if a rural property take a water sample within two days
For more information, please contact a MacDonald Moussa Team Professional